Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Model 19 Crossover Repair

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Boa2K4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2004
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    Hello, I'm new to this forum, and pretty green when it comes to electronics. Hopefully someone can help me in "layman's terms" on how to solve my problem. I have recently inherited a pair of Altec Model 19's with an old Heathkit component system. The problem is that years ago, one of the capacitors on the left speaker crossover burned out. I tried to find a replacement at the local radio-shack, with no success. I eventually happened upon a junked pair of unknown speakers and robbed a capacitor from them. Knowing nothing of electronics really, I popped it into the Model 19 crossover and it seemed to work. After some time, the speaker began to drop out. Not surprisingly, the capacitor I used is not correct. How can I find a suitable replacement? It is the very bottom capacitor(black body with red ends). I cannot read the numbers on the crossover in the other speaker so I cannot get the required info from that one.

    Thanks in advance....

  2. #2
    Inactive Member v847's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2003
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Boa 2K4,
    I have been trying to get a response from Todd White on replacement crossovers, perhaps he can help us both?

    V

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Boa2K4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2004
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well.....good luck to us both V! It would sure be nice to get 'em working good again.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Guys,

    Take a look at the image below. I believe the capacitor you need is the one on the left. It is an 8uf 75VAC non-polarized capacitor. Perhaps someone can recommend a good source???

    Later . . .

    Model 19 Crossover

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Boa2K4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2004
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    Wicked! That's the crossover I've got for sure....thanks so much for the info. Shouldn't be too hard to find the capacitor.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member gearjammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2002
    Posts
    96
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi I would go with the 8uf. 100vac. Maybe replace them in pairs as well

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The capacitance value needs to be the same or the performance of the crossover will change. The voltage rating can be equal to or greater than the original but not less than. Since capacitors in parallel act like resistors in series you could also use two 4uf caps in parallel with a 75VAC rating or higher.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Boa2K4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2004
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    OK....spoke too soon it seems. I'm having some trouble finding a capacitor with the exact spec's. Closest I've found so far is a 8uF 100VAC or 8.2uF 75VAC. Would either of those work? If so, which might be best? Or does anyone know where I can find an exact match? (8uF 75VAC)

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Boa2K4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2004
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    OK....I thought it was probably more important to match the capacitance and have equal or lower voltage rating. I'll work with that info. If I do need to use something like 8uf 100VAC+ or say 2 4uf 75VAC+, should I replace the the original cap on good crossover to match repaired crossover?

    Thanks All....

  10. #10
    Inactive Member gearjammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2002
    Posts
    96
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would just do the one at first just so i could do a A -B taste test. Then i would most likly do the second one as well,unless it sounded like **** .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.